Pages

Saturday, February 9, 2013

Harry Potter Altered Spool





I joined an altered spool swap on the Cricut message board.  It was a partner swap and I always get nervous about making something for someone because it can go all wrong.  Before I made it, I talked to my sister about it.  She said: Hey, she likes Harry Potter and you do, too.  Make something with Harry Potter.  Well, that was all she had to say because the idea just took off!  I even made in Pinterest Board for inspiration called Harry Potter Crafts/DIY.

I really liked the idea of doing a grown up Harry Potter Potions Class.  I didn’t want anything too cutesy because my partner is not into that.  Enter Tim Holtz.  I am going to single-handedly make that man rich.  I used almost Tim Holtz everything. 



The Bottle
My spool is actually a baby bottle that I altered to look like a spool.  I used Latte alcohol ink to age the bottle and then wrapped it with some red leather like paper that I bought a long time ago.  On top of the red paper, I pasted an “aged” image from a book by Nicholas Flamel, who is spoken about in the first Harry Potter book. To age the image, I used Antique Linen and Brushed Corduroy Distress Pads

I wrapped seam binding around the bottle.  The seam binding was inked with Fired Brick and Wild Honey Distress Markers and combined with water.  They looked like Gryffindor colors to me J

The Top



I cut out 3 circles using my spellbinder dies.  They are pretty thin but tough little dies.  The die cut right through a cereal box carton with no problem.  The two other circles were from cardstock from the DCWV Safari Chic stack.  I pasted them together and ran through the embossing machine using a woodgrain folder by guess who? Yeah, Tim Holtz.  I wrapped Paris washi paper by Cavallini & Co. around the sides of the top.  Nicholas Flamel was a Parisian for many years.


I made the book using text from a alchemist book I found on the net.  The cover is made with the same red paper that is on the bottle.  I stamped the front and back with a Stampers Anonymous angel stamp from a set called Classics #9.  I used the Tiny Attacher to hold the pages together.

Back view
The vial and cork are from Ideo-ology.  I made it look like the mixture spilled on the book.  The “mixture” is made with Glossy Accents and Forever Red Perfect Pearls.  A wire pin holds glass beads and the other bottle also made with a Glossy Accents and Perfect Pearls mixture.

The bookmark is seam binding inked with Latte alcohol ink and Squeezed Lemonade.  Because they are different types of liquids, there was sort of marbling effect.  It was totally unintended by super cool so I kept it.

The Recipe
One of the more famous potions used in the Harry Potter series is the Polyjuice Potion.  I got it from Harry Potter Wiki.  That site has almost everything you could possibly want to know about Harry Potter.  I aged the recipe with Peeled Paint and Black Soot Distress Pads and my awesome precision files by Basic Grey (I know! Not Tim Holtz!!). I rolled it up and hid it in the bottle.





The Cauldron
I made the cauldron totally by hand using air-dry clay by Crayola.  I painted it black and added jewelry wire for the handle.  I also added little black beads for some detail.  The “mixture” is made with glitter and Glossy Accents.



So that’s it.  My partner is lucky because I almost kept it!  lol

1 comment:

  1. Lori - this is fabulous!! I love all the details WOW! Awesome creation and attention to detail. TFS and thanks for stopping by:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by :)